Date: 11–13 Nov 2022
Cost: £270 - £325 depending on accommodation | £160 Non-residential (including Friday and Saturday dinners)
Details: Friday 11 November 6pm to Sunday 13 November 1pm
Location: Buckfast Abbey
Contact details: 07894 205255
Buckfast Abbey Singing Weekend on the edge of Dartmoor National Park, next to the banks of the River Dart A weekend of song in a beautiful setting: Cornish carols, sacred songs, folk songs from a wide range of traditions, hearty food and delightful accommodation. Open to all, songs & harmonies taught by ear and there is no need to read music.
Friday 11 November 6pm to Sunday 13 November 1pm
Led by Jane Harris, Director of Songways and Pip Wright, guest tutor from Cornwall
Singing weekend includes:
- Full programme of singing from Friday evening 6pm to Sunday lunchtime (Saturday and Sunday singing sessions begin at 9:30am.)
- Three contrasting spaces: the light and modern Hembury Room, the beautiful Abbey Church and the Medieval Guest Hall
- Two-course dinners on Friday and Saturday evenings
- 2 nights’ accommodation in Northgate House Hotel in the Abbey grounds including breakfast (or non-residential option – limited numbers)
- A chance to dance – easy Cornish dancing with live music (Jane and Pip fiddles) in the Medieval Guest Hall on Saturday evening
- Specially produced songbook with words for all the songs and some scores
- Tea and coffee refreshments
- Access to the delightful grounds
Lunches are not included – the Grange restaurant in the Abbey grounds will be open.
TUTORS and COORDINATOR
The weekend will be led by Jane Harris, Director of Songways and Pip Wright, singing leader, teacher and community musician based in West Cornwall.
Jane Harris is an experienced choir leader and Director of Songways, based in Bath. She leads singing workshops and singing retreats in beautiful places, and thriving choirs in Bath and Bradford on Avon. With her lively, clear and enabling teaching style, Jane brings out the best in singers’ voices, with open, resonant, heart-felt singing. Jane teaches by ear and loves to explore songs in different ways to enrich and deepen the singing experience. She is excited to be working with Pip again after their hugely successful Buckfast weekend in 2018. Jane also plays the violin which she will use to introduce some of the songs, and performs with her own vocal group, Rolling Harmony.
An exceptional teacher with a wonderful choice of songs
Pip Wright is a popular choir leader and community musician based near Penzance in West Cornwall. Pip has been hosting annual Cornish Carol workshops with other local singing leaders since 2013 and is delighted to share some of Cornwall’s rich and varied carol tradition north of the Tamar.
Pip runs two large community choirs: the Dawn Chorus and Levow an Bys – Voices of the World in Cornish. Some of Pip’s earliest musical memories are of hearing Cornish carols being sung in harmony by fishermen in Mousehole.
Pip plays fiddle in Cornish bands and with friends runs a ‘come all ye’ monthly pub session ‘Shout West’ singing traditional Cornish songs in the Yacht Inn, Penzance.
Accommodation is in Buckfast Abbey’s excellent Northgate House Hotel.
Rooms will be available from 3pm on the Friday.
The hotel offers:
- 32 comfortable hotel bedrooms all with en-suite facilities
- licensed bar
- free parking
- free Wifi
- easy access from the A38 to Exeter and Plymouth
- beautiful views of Buckfast Abbey and Dartmoor.