Date: 3–24 Jul 2020
Cost: Please pay what you feel comfortable with on the sliding scale - All 4 sessions sliding scale of £20 - £40 3 sessions sliding scale of £15 - £30 2 sessions sliding 10 - £20 1 session (or pay as you go) sliding scale of £5 - £10
Details: 10 - 11.30 am
Run by: Jenny Goodman
Contact details: 07984584923
Missing your singing? Why not try out online? Sadly the technology can’t duplicate being in a group of people creating that amazing wash of harmonies together with just our voices BUT you can still sing together and connect in a different way.
This is what you get via Zoom:
- The chance to connect with other – chat, see people’s faces and have the experience of singing together at the same time.
- The chance to sing with all its health-giving benefits, both psychologically and physically.
- A chance to sing with me – basically you will be able to hear me sing the part and sing along with me.
- No-one else can hear you (including me) so you can sing as loudly as you like (and make up new harmonies).
- A joint warm-up – getting your bodies and breath and voice moving all together.
- If you want to challenge yourself, you can try singing a different part against me while I teach.
- You get to sing with a pre-recorded track that I will produce of the whole song – so although you will be singing alone you will have “surround sound”.
- No travelling – sing in the comfort of your own home with your supply of favourite drink and biscuits!
Spaces limited to 24 so please book in advance – places allocated on first come first served basis. Details of Zoom link & payment process will be sent once you’ve booked. Places are limited so I can see everyone and you can see each other and so create that sense of connection – in previous sessions we’ve had people from all over the country and the world, which has been great fun.
What we’ll do:
There will a few minutes whilst people arrive, say hello and we ensure that everyone is comfortable with the technology. Then we’ll warm up together and sing for about an hour. It’s harder to concentrate online so it’s been found that shorter sessions are better. We should be able to sing one or two songs in that time. I will teach the part of each song separately and you’ll be able to sing along and then finally we’ll sing to a pre-recorded version of the whole song. You will need to mute when we are singing but we can keep our mics on for warm up and for chat. I will explain some useful hand signals we can use to let me know if you need help or want to comment while we’re learning. Over the 4 weeks we may build a repertoire of songs that you love and want to sing again. After we’ve completed a song in a session I send out tracks of the individual parts and the whole song so you can keep singing.
What you need:
No singing experience is needed and I will provide words where we need them. You will need a computer or other device with a camera and microphone. It’s MUCH better to be on a laptop, tablet or PC than a phone if possible. You will also need to download the Zoom app and once you’ve booked I will send you a link so you can join the session. More tech info and help below.
I operate a sliding scale so people can pay what they feel comfortable with. If you can’t afford anything, that is fine – just let me know. I don’t want anyone singing due to lack of money at the moment. Places will be allocated first come first served.. I will send you my bank details to make a transfer and can send address for cheques – this will come once you have booked along with the Zoom link.
Tech info – If you need it:
To improve WiFi connection be as close to your WiFi router as possible and use external speakers or headphones.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a system for holding meetings over a video link. You can use it on a laptop computer, a smartphone, or a tablet. It’s free to use. It works best when someone pre-plans a meeting and then invites people to join them there. This is what I’ll be doing.
To join Singing and Sharing, you just need the email from me which gives the link to my Zoom meeting.
If you are on a smartphone or tablet :
1. Click the link in my email
2. You will be prompted to install the Zoom Cloud app from the app store. Go ahead with the install. Agree to any permissions is asks you to grant (such as access to audio & video).
3. Return to my email and click the link again – this will launch the meeting.
If you are on a laptop:
1. You probably don’t need to install anything extra. Clicking the link in my email should take you directly into the meeting. Agree to any permissions is asks you to grant (such as access to microphone and webcam).
If you’re still stuck, there are video tutorials on most topics here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials