Date: 14 Jan—4 Feb 2021
Details: 10.30am - 12pm
Run by: Ailsa Nicholson
Contact details: Phone 07904376432
Ailsa Nicholson’s Singing 101 course for singing leaders is for anyone who works with singers: Choir leaders, teachers of singing in educational settings and singing groups.
The 4-week course will give participants an opportunity to learn how sound is produced, what singers do to create particular voice qualities/timbres, how to impart technique to your singers to ensure a great sound, solid pitching, efficient breath management, “blend,” healthy voice use – all whilst giving your singers confidence and joy in their singing.
We will cover:-
- Where we feel our singing: Techniques for singers to feel how they use breathing and vocalising to create particular sounds
- Warm-ups and why we do them;
- The best, scientifically proven exercises to train voices;
- How singing should feel (and what to do if singers feel discomfort/unsure of their voice.)
- Using efficient breathing techniques to make singing easier;
- Tuning: Why this can be tricky and quick tuning fixes;
- Tools to help leaders change the sound/timbre
- Developing and maintaining good vocal health;
- Helping your singers gain confidence in their singing;
- Troubleshooting difficulties your singers have in particular songs.
The course fee of £50 includes four, one and a half hour online Zoom sessions, PDF handouts and email support. Each participant will be asked to bring a part of a song that presents challenges for their singers. (eg, a breathing issue, or something that’s difficult to tune.)
Send an email to email@example.com for payment details/to secure your place.
The course will run on 14, 21, 28 January and 4 February, 2021 at 10.30am – 12pm
Payment in full must be made before the course starts to secure your place. No refunds given
- “I was really impressed at your response to each individual singer when they sang their chosen song and how you seemed to identify really quickly what was required to improve that person’s singing… all your comments were spot on and useful. You did it in a very positive way and so your ability to give crits was impressive… Your response each time was very helpful, reassuring and always positive.
I feel I gained a lot from your course, especially the M1 and M2 techniques. I’ve been doing loads of Zoom choirs in lockdown with different people’s warm ups, techniques etc and your course consolidated all of these and more. Thank you!” – Lizzie, course participant.
- “I love the way you teach and feel loaded with riches at the end of each lesson. I’m a bit out of touch with singing and this is such a boost to my confidence and interest, l can’t tell you.” – Judith, course participant.
- “I loved all aspects of the course, I enjoyed learning to connect with my body…I think you have such a warmth and take away my fear and insecurities of performing because you gently point out ways to improve or overcome musical obstacles. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be part of the training and finally singing on my own in front of the small group.” – Tina, course participant.