Date: 21–28 Oct 2022
Location: Kinnersley Castle, Kinnersley, Hereford HR3 6QF
Contact details: Frankie (+44) 029 2048 0429 or Sarah on (+44) 1874 713 184
This course run by Frankie Armstrong, Sarah Harman and visiting tutor Darien Pritchard offers a unique opportunity to attend an intensive training focusing on the melodic natural voice and using it with groups. It is designed for people who already run voice workshops or singing groups, those who wish to, or those who want to incorporate voice into their existing work. Sarah and Frankie model the importance of finding dynamic relaxation, using imagination and humour, and remembering that laughter is one of the best things for the body and voice.
The training contains a number of threads:
Your own voice
- working on and making the most of your own voice
Preparation for using the voice
- daily body/voice preparation sessions, focusing on aspects of body release and energising that relate directly to vocal expression
- individual and group activities that aid voice development
- the appropriate stepping stones to help others make the most of their voices
Leading voice groups
- the process of working with groups
- structuring and pacing workshops
- teaching practice – leading vocal exercises, teaching songs (with supportive feedback)
- dealing with difficult situations/individuals
- creating and setting up improvisations
Applying this approach
- contexts in which this approach can be applied
- starting and sustaining choirs and other groups
Bodywork is an integral part of the training course. In addition to the daily physical preparation, visiting movement specialist Darien Pritchard helps participants understand the anatomy around breathing. He also uses his expertise as a Feldenkrais teacher to help participants maximise vocal release and physical support for the voice.
Participants receive a course handbook, containing comprehensive notes on the exercises, and practical information on freelance working as a voice leader. They also receive a CD with exercises for the body, the breath and the voice, and ways of exploring vocal technique.
TIMES: The course starts with supper at 6.30pm on 21st October. You can arrive from 4pm to settle into your room. We finish after lunch, at 2pm on 28th October.
COST: The total course fee is £1470. This consists of a non-refundable deposit of £300 to reserve your place, with the final payment to be paid 8 weeks before the course starts.